I am finishing up the final week of The 21 Day Sugar Detox (21 DSD). I’d like to share with you 5 of my “go to” products, in no particular order;
- GT’s Kombucha, you are allowed 8 oz. of kombucha (fermented tea) per day while on the 21 DSD. Consuming kombucha is said to have many benefits including aiding in detoxification of the body, promoting joint health, helps support digestion and gut health, and it can help boost the immune system. I enjoyed my 8 oz. of kombucha as an after-dinner treat. My new favorite flavor is GT’s Lavender. Have you tried this flavor? It is delicious.
- Siete tortillas. One Siete tortilla is allowed per day. These tortillas have become a staple for breakfast, they are perfect for making breakfast tacos. They are extremely versatile, they would be excellent warmed up with a little ghee and cinnamon or perfect crisped in a pan and served with a taco salad. There are many 21 DSD friendly recipes for wraps and tortillas available online if you prefer to make your own, or can’t find the Siete brand near you.
- Coconut Butter, which is simply puréed coconut meat (this is the flesh, or white part of the coconut) and is a perfect 21 DSD treat. Coconut butter is sweet and there is no added sugar. I have been enjoying the Nutiva Brand, the only ingredient is organic whole coconut purée. I especially enjoyed it during the first week when my sugar cravings were still strong. One of my favorite ways to enjoy it, besides just a spoonful, was warmed on the stove top. I warm it just enough to melt and brown it, then drizzle it over a green tipped banana (FYI – you are allowed one green tipped banana, green apple or grapefruit per day on 21 DSD).
- Ghee, or clarified butter is a great fat alternative. It has a little bit of a nutty flavor and a higher smoke point making it ideal for high-heat cooking. I decided to cut out butter after the first week of the 21 DSD. I did this to see if I would see any improvements in my skin. Removing the butter and replacing it with ghee did help my skin, as it looks and feels smoother with less blemishes. I used ghee for everything from roasting veggies to cooking meat.
- Seasnax seaweed sheets. There tag line is “strangely addictive” and that is exactly what they are, strangely addictive. Seaweed is very nutrient dense and is rich in minerals such as iodine, calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper and selenium. My favorite flavor is the lime flavor. I would enjoy them as a snack alone or with a little deli meat.
The third, and final week of 21 DSD is coming to an end and I feel amazing. I can’t wait to recap my experience, fill you in on what my biggest take-a-ways were and what I plan on doing after the detox. Look for this in next week’s blog post. If you are ready to take on The 21 Day Sugar Detox yourself; join my October group and say good bye to sugar before Halloween is here.
Jamey Floreck, NTP, CPT
Say Yes To Better Health, Join my October 21 Day Sugar Detox Group!